Queen's Simulation Centre: Anesthesia Crisis Management Workshop
- Friday, October 13, 2017
- Friday, April 13, 2018
- Next Date: To be determined
This one-day workshop is designed to meet the learning needs of both Royal College and Family Physician-Anesthesia trained clinicians. Participants will explore and practice Crisis Resource Management, the foundations of which are key to managing any crisis situation. Our Continuing Medical Education workshop will provide a safe and comfortable environment in which physicians can manage critical perioperative events. Course participants will take part in a number of anesthesia crisis situations in our state of the art simulation centre. A formative facilitated debriefing after each event will provide the participants a safe environment to reflect on the crisis scenario and subsequent management. Focus will be placed not only on up-to-date resuscitation techniques but communication and teamwork in a crisis as well. participants will fill out an end of course writeen reflection of their learning experience. A technical skills room will also be available for participants to practice US guided central lines and surgical airways during down time in between simulation sessions.
- Practice management of perioperative hemodynamic, respiratory and equipment related critical events in anesthesia.
- Practice up-to-date resucitation techniques and effective utilization of resources in a safe learning environment.
- Reflect on optimal teamwork, leadership and communication skills required in crisis management
As a participant, you will...
- Participate in three "hot seat" scenarios; the first two scenarios will be with a partner, the final hot seat will be alone.
- Participate in at least one scenario as a member of the OR team.
- Reflect on personal and tem performance.
- Department of Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine, Queen's University
- Department of Family Medicine, Queen's University
|8:00 - 8:30||Registration and Breakfast|
|8:30 - 9:30||Orientation to the Simulation Lab|
|9:30 - 10:30||Introductory Partnered Scenarios|
|10:30 - 10:45||Refreshment Break|
|10:45 - 12:30||Independent Scenarios & Debriefing|
|12:30 - 1:30||Lunch|
|1:30 - 3:30||Independent Scenarios & Debriefing|
|3:30 - 4:00||Feedback Surveys|
- Dr. Jessica Burjorjee, FRCPC, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology
- Dr. Rachel Rooney, FRCPC, Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology
- Dr. Valerie McLeod, CCFP (FPA), Assistant Professor, Departments of Family Medicine and Anesthesiology
- Dr. Joy Hataley, CCFP (FPA), LACGH ER Group Lead Physician, Associate, Departments of Family Medicine and Anesthesiology
- This event is an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physcians and Surgeons of Canada.
- 21 MOC Section 1 Credits
- Course Fee: $700*
- *Fee includes light breakfast, refreshments, lunch
- Maximum Course Size: 6 participants
- Cancellations more than 30 days prior to the course date will be eligible for a refund minus a $100 deposit.
- Cancellations made less than 30 days prior to the course date will not receive a refund.
Clinical Simulation Centre
School of Medicine
15 Arch Street
Kingston, ON K7L 3N6