Faculty in the Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine are involved in a variety of research areas. We endeavor not only to ask important questions concerning patient care, but also to elucidate their answers in the laboratory and at the bedside. Research expertise in our department ranges from basic science bench work investigating mechanisms of pain, to large-scale epidemiological risk and outcome monitoring, to both investigator-led and multi-centre clinical trials. Specific areas of interest include perioperative outcome management, chronic and acute pain mechanisms, cardiac anesthesiology, patient safety, and simulation medical education. Our goal is to foster a collaborative research environment, encouraging partnerships between researchers in multiple departments within Queen’s University and the Kingston General Hospital, and at other centres in Canada and beyond. Our faculty regularly receive funding to support their research, present at meetings, contribute to national and international research organizations, and publish in major anesthesiology and medical journals, resulting in a highly productive research enterprise.
Terms of Reference and Committee Membership
Terms of reference:
- To help promote the development and maintenance of clinically important, sustainable, externally funded, and transdisciplinary research programs relevant to the Department.
- To help promote research training of Anesthesiology Residents and, in appropriate circumstances, also of Undergraduate/Graduate/Postgraduate Students/Fellows as well as Departmental Faculty members.
- To help promote Knowledge Translation activities so as to maximize dissemination of research results from Departmental Research.
- To participate in ongoing review of the academic mission and strategic planning of the Department as they pertain to Research and Research Training.
- To participate in academic recruitment of Faculty, Staff and Trainees as they pertain to Research and Research Training.
- To participate in procurement and prioritization of research resources so as to optimally meet the needs of active Departmental research programs.
- To help provide peer review resources for new research programs and proposals
- GFT Member - Clinical Research Director/Supervisor of Nursing Research Coordinators/Supervisor of Departmental Research Facilitator
- GFT Member - Residency Research Coordinator/Annual Anesthesiology Research Day Organizer
- 4 GFT Members
- 1-2 Departmental Cross-appointees with a primary appointment in another Queen's University research department
- Departmental Research Nurse(s) and Facilitator(s)
- Departmental Academic Time Committee Chair (ex-officio)
- Department Head (ex-officio)
Debbie DuMerton Shore, Research Nurse Coordinator
Role: Coordination of data collection and development for clinical trials.
Contact: Phone: 613-549-6666 ext. 3224
Rachel Phelan, Research Facilitator
Role: Assistance with study development, ethics approval, grant procurement, and manuscript preparation.
Phone: 613-549-6666 ext. 3403
Dana Thompson-Green, Research Administrative Assistant
Role: Please contact for assistance with our research website.
Phone: 613-549-6666 ext. 3472